Despite opposition and lawsuits, NYC’s Foam Ban on single-use foam products will go into effect by January 2019.
Here Are 5 things you need to know:
- All food service establishments located or operating within the 5 Boroughs of NYC cannot, use, have, sell, or offer foam food service items
- Banned items
* polystyrene foam single service items – cups, bowls, plates, take-out containers and trays
* “Packing peanuts”- polystyrene loose filling
* Expanded polystyrene containers used for prepackaged food, filled and sealed before they were received
* Expanded polystyrene containers used to store raw meat, pork, fish, seafood or poultry sold from a butcher case or similar retail appliance.
- Alternatives to foam packaging include paper, plastic, aluminum and other biodegradable products. Contact your packaging distributor for details.
- Nonprofits and small businesses with revenue less than $500,000 in gross income could apply for hardship exemptions from The Department of Small Businesses Services (SBS)