Last updated on August 24th, 2017 at 09:01 pm
New NYC Legislation Requires Gender Neutral Bathrooms – June 28, 2016
A new law signed by Mayor Deblasio requires single occupant restrooms in public places like restaurants and bars to be gender neutral.
Effective January 2017 all single occupant bathrooms should be made available for use by persons of any sex (Article 315 of Title 28 of the Administrative Code of the City of New York)..
What you need to Know
What are Single Occupant Toilet Room?
A single occupant toilet room is one that has ALL of the following
• no more than ONE water closet;
• no more than One urinal;
• A door to the room that is not securable from within (No Stalls)
*** No alterations to existing single occupant bathrooms have to be made except the posting of signs
• A legible, readily visible sign
• Designated for each sex, or for a single-occupant toilet room, for all sexes;
• Signs must be placed near the entrance to each toilet