To Keep the Open Restaurants Program going through the winter, Owners must prepare and plan for snow. The NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) has been training to remove snow on streets with Open Restaurant structures.
How to Prepare
Protect your Patrons, Staff and Property
- Use snow sticks to increase visibility of your Open Restaurant.
- Be prepared to consolidate and remove items when a Winter Operations Advisory or Snow Alert is issued.
Watch for 2 levels of Advisories
Winter Operations Advisory
- Winter weather is possible.
- Roadway dining may continue, but take steps to protect your patrons, staff and property.
- DSNY may spread salt and/or brine to prevent freezing.
- 1 or 2 inches of snow are possible.
- Roadway dining MUST CLOSE by the time indicated in the Alert.
- Remove or secure furniture
- Remove electric heaters
- Remove the tops of your structures if possible.
** remove or consolidate structures/barriers, to take up as little space as possible If the forecast calls for 12” or more, this makes plowing easier and protects property.
- Remove snow and ice from your sidewalk.
- If you’re on a corner, clear a path to crosswalk.
- Do not to block fire hydrants.
- Snow may be placed at curbline, against the building, or on private property.
**Pushing snow into the street is illegal.
- DSNY may start spreading salt/brine up to 48hrs before an Alert begins.
✶The City will announce when snow alert is over & in-street dining may safely resume